EICTA is an IT lobbying group founded in 1999.
News & Chronology
Eicta lately launched a software patent propaganda website: Patents4Innovation
This site is accompanied by a similar hired-gun outfit Campaign for Creativity
- The campaign claims to have support from various national IT associations also in the new member states (e.g. infobalt, see "about us", Leo Baumann gave pro-patent speeches in the Baltics recently)
- some national sections of EICTA have pronounced themselves against software patents.
Nokia Patent Radical Tim Frain about us
- Well-orchestrated, pro-active opposition from parts of Open Source Software (OSS) community:
- Ideological, anti-globalisation platform
- Often using misleading arguments
- Mostly non-users of patents
- Based on fear of patents (patent thicket)
- Perception is they speak for all SMEs*, inc. spin-outs
- Sympathetic MEPs, especially socialists in some Member States, and the Greens generally